About Upward Bound
Upward Bound is a federally funded TRIO program that provides fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in pre-college performance and ultimately in higher education pursuits. The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the rates at which participants enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education.
Services are designed to develop essential skills, study habits, and discipline necessary for success in high school and college. Participants commit to the program until high school graduation and participate in both a six week summer program and an academic year component including weekly tutoring and Saturday Academy.
Being curriculum driven, the program provides exposure to a wide variety of academic, cultural, and social, and career opportunities stimulating a college experience.
Services and Activities Provided
- College Academic Programs and Cultural Events
- Instruction and Exploration in College Preparatoy Curriculum
- Assistance in completing College Applications
- Financial Aid Workshops
- Weekly Tutorial Services
- 6-week Summer Academy
- Academic, Financial, and Personal Counseling
- ACT Preparation
- College Tours/Field Trips
- Summer College Trip
- Science Fair
- Paid Internships
Tulane Upward Bound Accomplishments
- 2/3 of students increased their ACT scores by 10%!
- Students increased their GPA by 10%!
- 100% high school graduation rate!
- 97% college acceptance rate!
- 88% persistence rate with its alumni in postsecondary education!